5 Tips for Growing Long, Healthy Black Hair

(The two left images show my hair with relaxers in it, while the right images show my natural hair 4 years post-relaxer.)

I often get asked by other women what I do to keep my hair so long and healthy. I've changed up the way I treat my hair over the years, which has really allowed me to see changes in my hair length and strength. Keep reading for my tips and tricks on how to grow your hair!

1. Cut the Creamy Crack. I know from experience that it is extremely difficult to see positive hair growth results if you regularly use relaxers. I opt for styles such as silk presses and blowouts that give me the same silky, bouncy look and feel without the burning, harsh chemicals. Yes, it's more upkeep, but the results are so worth it!
2. Wrap Your Hair at Night. I'm sure wrapping your hair is the last thing you want to do when you're tired after a long day, but you'll thank yourself in the morning! It helps ensure that your edges are laid, your hair doesn't break off in the middle of the night, and moisture is retained. I use a satin bonnet, and sleep on a satin pillowcase for extra protection.
3. Wear Protective Styles. My personal favorite protective style is a sew-in, and I've added some photos of me wearing them below. I wear my sew-ins for 3 months each, and my hair is always extra healthy afterwards. It gives your hair a break from all the heat and chemicals you may use, which will help promote hair growth if installed properly. I like to make sure my hair is trimmed and deep conditioned before a sew-in so that it's in good shape before being covered for months.

4. Get Regular Trims. I personally never want to cut my hair, but I know it's something I need to in order to get rid of any split ends. They will travel up your hair if not cut, which gives the hair an overall unhealthy look. Make sure to regularly moisturize your ends to prevent the splitting from ever happening in the first place.
5. Limit Heat Styling. I try to only use heat on my hair once a week. Sometimes I may need to break out my flat iron for a quick touch up, but for the most part, wrapping my hair the night before allows me to get up and go with no heat required.

Comments

Popular Posts