My First Drybar Experience with Natural Hair

Drybar Review

Attention All My Fellow Natural African American Ladies: Don't Sleep on the Drybar!

I have been on a mission to find a hair salon in the Alpharetta area where I can get biweekly blowouts or silk presses that won't cost me an arm and a leg. I was at The Avalon over the weekend, and stumbled across the cutest salon adorned with yellow accents, and thought I would give it a go. They specialize in one thing; blowouts. No cuts, no color. Just blowouts. For those of you who don't know, The Avalon is a high-end outdoor shopping center in the heart of Alpharetta, GA, a predominantly Caucasian city. I was a bit apprehensive as to whether or not they would be able to handle my hair, but when I called the next day to set up an appointment, they assured me that I would be paired with a stylist who is experienced in styling ethnic hair.

How cute is this? I love the salon's interior design details!

Off I went to my 11:30 AM appointment. I was greeted by the receptionist who offered me delicious fruit infused water (which I'm still craving) while I waited and selected my desired style from "the lookbook." My stylist came out and greeted me right on time, and we were off to the shampoo bowl.

All looks are $40 no matter your hair length or type!
When I get my hair shampooed, I like to have my scalp scratched vigorously to get that squeaky clean feel, and the stylist did a great job with that. She made sure to ask me if I was natural or relaxed, and if I was okay with product in my hair. When it came to the blowout, she sectioned my hair off and used a brush in place of a diffuser to blow dry my hair. I went with the "Cosmo" style, and she used a flat iron to achieve the curls. While having my hair styled, they showed How the Grinch Stole Christmas, which was a bit odd considering it's the month of August, but it's still a classic nonetheless. They also had R&B, Pop, and Hip Hop music playing in the background.

The Cosmo - Lots of Loose Curls

Now please enjoy my impromptu photo shoot showing off my blowout after leaving the salon!






Overall, I really enjoyed my Drybar experience. I love the ambiance of the salon, as it makes getting my hair done seem like less of a chore, and more of a pampering. I have spent all day in hair salons, but this time, I was in and out in almost exactly an hour.

I do wish edge control was used to slick down my baby hairs, and that my hair came out shinier, as it is when I get a silk press.

All in all, I will definitely be back. It was well worth the $40 compared to the last salon I tried ($50 plus a $10 upcharge for my hair length).





Comments

Popular Posts